At the time of the Turkish occupation the monastery at Szeged Alsóváros had in its possession a large garden in excess of 34,000 square meters full of fruit trees and herbs. We can be certain that the world-renowned paprika of Szeged spread from the Franciscans' garden to the local community. At the beginning of the 18th century the contents of the garden were used against epidemic typhus, at that time termed Morbus Hungaricus.
The occupying Turks also used the medical knowledge of the Franciscans of Szeged. In a letter dated 24 August 1643, Pasha Mehmet, Governor of the Castle of Eger, threatened the magistrates and citizens of Szeged with beheading unless a Franciscan of Szeged administered a cure.